Guava, also known as Amrood has a yellowish-green skin, along with white or pink flesh studded with hard but edible seeds.
Guavas have a strong aroma and are used to make tons of different treats. In addition to being a flavorful fruit, guava is also seasonal, which makes it necessary to consume it to get all its nutritional benefits.
Also Read: Health Benefits of Garlic and Right Ways to Eat It
Health Benefits of Guava
When it comes to health benefits, guava has a long list.
- Guava is a rich source of Vitamin C and will help boost your immune system.
- The antioxidants present in the fruit neutralize the free radicals generated in the body and thus prevent the growth of cancer cells.
- Guavas have a low glycemic index, which makes them a perfect fruit for sugar sufferers.
- Loaded with fiber, guavas regulate bowel movement and also prevent constipation.
- This amazing fruit also improves eyesight, improves heart health, and also aids in weight loss.
- It is also good for Your Brain and contains Anti-Ageing Properties.
You may also be interested in the Incredible health benefits of Scent leaves
Nutritional value of Guava
According to data from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), 100g of fruit contains only 68 calories and 8.92g of sugar.
They also contain 22g of magnesium per 100g of guava, along with significant amounts of phosphorus and potassium, respectively 40g and 417g per 100g.
Guavas are also high in calcium as they contain 18g of minerals per 100g of fruit.
Also See: Surprising Health Facts You Should Be Aware Of
If you are a fan of mint, tamarind and coconut chutney, try the guava chutney once too.
Add 2 chopped guavas to a blender, add 1 green chili, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, ½ tablespoon of cumin seeds, ½ tablespoon of chili powder, 2 tablespoons of coriander leaves and 3-4 mint leaves.
Also sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Grind everything together to make a smooth chutney.
You may have eaten guava in various forms, but have you ever had guava curry? Yes, guava can also be used to make a super delicious curry, perfect for your lunch menu.
- For the curry, start by heating a tablespoon of oil in a pan.
- Add ½ tsp hing and jeera.
- Add a teaspoon of ginger garlic paste and sauté for a minute.
- Now add the 2 tomatoes puree and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add ½ teaspoon of turmeric, 1 teaspoon of chili powder, 1 tablespoon of amchur powder, 1 teaspoon of fennel powder and salt to taste.
- Now add ½ cup of curd and mix everything well.
- Finally, add 3 chopped guavas along with 1 cup of water. Cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes. When cooked, garnish with fresh coriander and serve hot.
Also Check: Financial Practices That Benefit Your Health
Guava juice is not only a tasty drink to have, but it will help your weight loss. You can also take it as a pre-exercise drink as it will give you enough energy for physical training.
Cut 1 large guava, place it in a pan with 1 cup of water and cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes. Once cold, blend in a blender until it forms a smooth paste. Add 1/4 cup of honey, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and black salt to taste.
Now mix this mixture with 2 cups of water. Transfer to a glass and enjoy the delicious juice.