Within the United Nations system, the World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating body for health.
It is in charge of creating the global health research agenda, establishing norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy alternatives, providing technical assistance to nations, and monitoring and analyzing health trends.
See also Technical Sales Manager (Paint) at Cormart Nigeria Limited
We are recruiting to fill the position below
Job Title: NPO (Public Health and Environment)
Job ID: 2204185
Contractual Arrangement: Fixed-term appointment
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): Two years
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Objectives of the Programme
WHO’s objective is to assist nations in preventing, preparing for, detecting, promptly responding to, and recovering from epidemics and emergencies, as well as to coordinate worldwide action.
Description of Duties
- Conduct an emergency quick evaluation of the inventory and requirements in health facilities for WASH (water, hygiene, sanitation, and waste management), vector control, and infection control, as well as the health activities necessary in response to the emergency situation.
- Follow up on WASH efforts at health facilities and for health activities in the framework of the incident management system, and report on country progress. Identify gaps and make recommendations about how to fix them.
- Provide technical expertise and onsite assistance to health partners on WASH, coordinating and proactively participating in the design and implementation of plans to expand or renovate emergency health facilities.
- Provide onsite support to ensure applicability and appropriate implementation of the recommended infection control activities in the health facilities and for the health activities supported by the World Health Organization, specifically for medical waste management, safe and dignified burial of infectious bodies, health staff and patients’ protection.
- Ensure also that WASH, vector control and infection control set up in the health facilities and for health activities are conducted and set according to Sphere and WHO Standards.
- Secure water, hygiene, sanitation and infection control for health activities within the WASH cluster, providing implementation guidance.
- Conduct required training for MOH staff and WHO partners to build up local competences and facilitate the compliance with the WASH standards for all health activities.
- Draft required evaluation or situation reports to ensure appropriate communication with OSL lead and all related technical experts. Perform any other related incident-specific duties, as required by the functional supervisor.
First University Degree in Engineering, Health of Humanitarian Logistics or other related field from an accredited/recognized institute, with specialization in water and sanitation.
- Advanced university (Master’s level or above) in Public Health Water, Sanitation and Hygiene.
- Degree or training in Computer Applications in Water and Sanitation project design and related database systems.
At least five (5) years of relevant expertise in the design and execution of water and sanitation assessments, as well as the design and administration of associated initiatives in emergency situations, at the national and international levels. Extensive experience designing and promoting coordinated efforts with national governments.
Relevant professional experience in UN organizations/agencies, international institutions, health cluster partners, recognized humanitarian organizations or NGOs is required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of emergency response situations in the field of water and sanitation with proven ability to identify and solve technical problems in difficult circumstances.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills, with proven ability to elaborate and implement projects.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to promote cohesive actions and convince officials with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to write in a clear and concise manner, and to present factual information.
- Knowledge of WHO, the UN System or NGO work in the field of response relief and/or of their practices and procedures as related to the work.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- Ensuring the effective use of resources
- Use of Language Skills
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
Remuneration comprises an annual base salary starting at N22,134,904 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
Application Closing Date
10:59 PM; 10th June, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online: APPLY