International Women’s Day (IWD) is celebrated on the 8th of March every year, and 2023 marks the 112th anniversary of the annual event. The theme for International Women’s Day 2023 is “Equality, Diversity and Inclusion”, with a focus on promoting gender equality and recognizing the contributions of women across the globe.
This year’s theme comes at a time when the world is undergoing significant social, economic, and political changes. It recognizes the need for societies to embrace diversity and inclusion in all aspects of life and to ensure that every woman has the opportunity to achieve her full potential.
International Women’s Day 2023 Date: When is Women’s Day?
International Women’s Day falls on March 8 annually. This year, it is also being marked on Wednesday.
International Women’s Day 2023 Theme:
This year, the theme for International Women’s Day is Embrace Equity or #EmbraceEquity. The International Women’s Day website says, “Equity isn’t just a nice-to-have, it’s a must-have. A focus on gender equity needs to be part of every society’s DNA. And it’s critical to understand the difference between Equity and Equality. The aim of the IWD 2023 #EmbraceEquity campaign theme is to get the world talking about ‘Why equal opportunities aren’t enough’.”
While “Equality means each individual or group of people is given the same resources or opportunities,” the IWD website said, “Equity recognizes that each person has different circumstances and allocates the exact resources and opportunities needed to reach an equal outcome.”
International Women’s Day 2023 Celebrations:
In celebration of International Women’s Day 2023, there are many ways in which individuals and organizations can get involved. Here are a few suggestions:
- Promote gender equality in your workplace: If you are an employer, make sure that your workplace policies and practices promote gender equality. This also includes addressing pay equity, providing flexible work arrangements, and promoting diversity and inclusion in hiring and promotion practices.
- Advocate for women’s rights: Use your voice to advocate for policies and practices that promote women’s rights and gender equality. This also includes supporting initiatives to end gender-based violence, promoting women’s access to education and healthcare, and advocating for women’s participation in political and decision-making processes.
- Support women-owned businesses: Support women-owned businesses by purchasing their products and services, and by promoting them to others. This can also help to promote economic empowerment for women and increase their representation in leadership positions.
- Educate yourself and others: Educate yourself and others about gender equality and the challenges that women face around the world. This can also include reading books and articles, watching documentaries, and attending events that promote gender equality and women’s empowerment.
- Celebrate the achievements of women: Take time to celebrate the achievements of women in your community and around the world. This can also include recognizing women who have made significant contributions to their field, or who have overcome significant challenges to achieve their goals.