Justice Olukayode Ariwoola is expected to be sworn in as the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN) on Monday after the sudden resignation of Justice Ibrahim Tanko Muhammad as the head of the nation’s judiciary.
Ahuraka Yusuf Isah, the CJN’s media representative, who confirmed Justice Tanko Muhammad’s retirement as CJN also made a suggestion that the new CJN will be sworn in on Monday afternoon.
According to reports, Justice Muhammad resigned from his position as the nation’s chief justice due to health concerns.
Read Also : Akin Ogunbiyi describes APC, and PDP as evil forces
Recall that the CJN was last week accused of corruption and professional misconduct by 14 of his brother Justices of the apex court.
Justice Muhammad resigned on Sunday, but the news of his resignation became public on Monday morning.
Read Also: Somalia parliament authorizes new prime minister
Journalists gathered that the CJN, who was billed to declare a workshop organised for Judges opened at the National Judicial Institute (NJI) was represented at the event by a Justice of the Supreme Court, Justice Suleiman Galadima.
Recall that the CJN in his response to the protest letter by the Justices of the apex court said the action of the justices amounts to dancing naked in the marketplace and absolved himself of any wrongdoing.
Amazing things you need to know about the new CJN?
- Justice Ariwoola born on 22 August 1958 and he is currently the most senior Justice of the Supreme Court.
- He was formerly a Justice of the Court of Appeal and was elevated to the Supreme Court bench after having been elevated from the State High Court of Oyo State.
- Ariwoola started his educational career in his home town Iseyin at the Local Authority Demonstration School, Oluwole, in the Iseyin Local government of Oyo State between 1959 and 1967.
- Before his elevation to the Supreme Court, Ariwoola served as Justice of the Court of Appeal in Kaduna, Enugu, and Lagos divisions.
- He attended many International and National conferences and workshops in France, Atlanta Georgia, UK and Dubai, UAE, and he is happily married with children.