39.4 C
Anambra
Friday, February 3, 2023

Sexual Assault: Enugu, Anambra Top List Of Violent Cases Against Women, Girls In Nigeria 

A non-governmental organization, Women Aid Collective (WACOL)/Tamar Sexual Assault Referral Centre (Tamar SARC), has decried the rising cases of violence against women and girls across the country. 

The group in a report released on Thursday said it received and handled 450 cases of (VGWG) between January and June 2022. 

In a bi-annual report signed by former Dean, Faculty of Law, University of Nigeria, Enugu Campus and founder of WACOL/Tamar SARC, Professor Joy Ezilo, the group called for effective implementation of existing laws, and policies that seek to prevent and mitigate VAWG but punish perpetrators. 

According to the report, the group said the 450 cases include rape, defilement, incest, domestic violence, Sexual Assault, child custody, neglect and maintenance; denial of inheritance; harmful widowhood practices, and malicious damage to properties; forceful ejections, abandonment of spouses and early/forced marriage. 

According to the document, cases involving adult victims accounted for 433 while, 17 victims are minors.  

Also Read: NNPP Announces Bishop Idahosa as Kwankwaso’s Running mate

Similarly, cases reported by female clients amount to 431 (representing 96%) female, while the remaining 19 incidents (representing 4%) were reported by male clients. 

The reports revealed that in terms of disaggregation by age; ages between 25 and 34 featured 171 cases, followed by ages 35 to 44 with 151 cases, while 45 to 49 had 54 cases. 

Also, ages 18 to 24 had 33 instances, while those above 60 years were the lowest at 18 cases. About six (6) incidents had no specific age bracket.  

The statement read in part, “In terms of state-by-state data representation, the highest population emanated from Enugu State, Anambra State came second, followed by Ebonyi, Imo, and Abia states respectively. 

“We equally received reports from across the state of the federation, accordingly, most female clients suffered cases relating to domestic violence, rape, defilement, incest; physical, and emotional abuses; custody, and maintenance; denial of inheritance.  

“Others include harmful widowhood practices; malicious damage to property; forceful ejection, and abandonment of spouse; as well as early /forced marriage.” 

 

 

Chinaza Ogbachalu
Chinaza Ogbachaluhttps://www.chinazaogbachalu.com/
My name is Chinaza Ogbachalu, and I am a writer. I have been writing news and opinion articles for five years plus and have always had a passion for storytelling. I grew up in Nigeria and graduated from the University of Port Harcourt, Nigeria, with a degree in linguistics and communication studies. I have written books that have been well-received by critics and readers alike. My work often focuses on culture and lifestyle, and I draw inspiration from my own experiences and observations of the world around me. As a news writer, I am responsible for researching and writing engaging and accurate news stories for our online audience. I have a strong passion for current events and am skilled at conducting interviews and gathering information from sources. I am grateful for the support of my readers and am constantly humbled by their enthusiasm for my work. Thank you for taking the time to learn more about me and my writing.
spot_img

Related

Tinubu Distances Himself From the Failure of APC —Atiku’s Aide 

Phrank Shaibu, a special assistant on public communication for...

No Single Administration Can Solve All Nigeria’s Problems – Buhari

Buhari, during the state of the national dialogue on...

New Currency Hoarding: We Have to Enter Banks’ Strong Rooms – CBN

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has said it...

CBN Recovers N1.9tn in Two Months After Naira Redesign

The Central Bank of Nigeria said it recovered N1.9...

The Burden of High Military Spending on Nigeria’s Economy

Nigeria, a country plagued by insurgency and ethnic and...
Join The Tribe 🥳

Join our ever-growing community of awoken ones and receive newsletters, offers & invitations.