Did you make a mistake when registering for your National Identity Number (NIN)? Or did you uncover an inaccuracy in the date of birth only after printing off your sample copy? Many people make mistakes and make errors when enrolling for their NIN. The good news is that there is a simple alternative option for you. Nigeria Information Guide.
The National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) has announced to the general public that individuals with incorrect data in their National Identification Number can now proceed to correct their data in the NIMC database.
Although the enrolment is free, there will also be charges attached to other services like correction of date of birth, card renewal, and changes of address.
Having an incorrect date of birth on your NIN slip can negatively affect any registration process that would require your NIN. Hence, correcting the date of birth on your NIN should be done immediately.
How to change your Date of Birth on NIN
If the date of birth on your National Identification Number (NIN) is incorrect, you can follow the procedures below to get it corrected
- Locate the NIMC office closest to you with the required documents for modification of data. You are expected to come with the following documents to change your date of birth:
- Original copy of your NIN slip issued to you
- Printout of the Remita Retrieval Reference (RRR) Number
- Application letter for the change of date of birth
- Request and fill the data modification form
- After filling, submit the form and the supporting documents to an enrolment officer
- Your information will then be inputted on the NIMC software by the enrolment officer
- Double check the inputted information you provided to avoid any mistake or error
- The enrolment officer will then capture your biometric data
- A transaction slip will be printed and given to you by the enrolment officer.
- Your previous NIN slip will be submitted to the NIMC office
- Visit the NIMC office in 2 days for your new NIN slip
Note: The NIMC correction of Date Of Birth will cost you N15,000 on the NIMC official portal. The payment must be made through remita, or via designated banks.