Nollywood actor, Kenneth Okonkwo, has resigned his membership of the All Progressives Congress over the choice of Kashim Shettima as the running mate of the party’s presidential candidate, Bola Tinubu.
He revealed this in a letter shared on his Instagram page on Monday.
Part of the letter read, “Recall that joined APC because of its Constitutional vow. As true Progressives and Patriots, to eliminate all forms of discrimination and social injustice in Nigeria.
Those ideals are now alien to the APC, with their unfortunate decision to paint our Muslim brothers in had light, by insinuating that the Muslims in Nigeria will not accept or vote for a Northern Christian as Vice-President to pair with a Southern Muslim.
If Muslims could vote voluntarily for Southern Christian Presidents, it is then a fallacy to insinuate that they cannot accept a Northern Christian Vice-President. This will also permanently destroy the political viability of Northern Christians in Nigeria, if allowed to stand.
10 Things You don’t Know About Kenneth Okonkwo
- Kenneth Okonkwo was born on November 6th 1968 in Nsukka, Enugu State, Nigeria to Mr. Ozioko Francis Okonkwo and Mrs. Beatrice Okonkwo.
- He is a Nigerian lawyer, actor, producer, director and politician.
- Kenneth joined the Nigerian movie industry (Nollywood) in 1991. He rose to fame in 1992 when he played “Andy Okeke”, the leading role in the movie, Leaving in Bondage.
- He has also featured in over 200 Nollywood movies including; Ripple, Dumebi, Silent King, World Apart, Helplessly in Love with My Wife, Royal Secret, Billionaires Club, The Power of Money, Just in Case and Husband Material.
- In 1994, Kenneth experienced a spiritual rebirth and started to rethink his attitude towards religion.
- In March 2018, Kenneth declared his intention to run for Governor of Enugu State at the 2019 general election. He also revealed that he will be contesting on the platform of the All People’s Congress.
- Okonkwo’s first marriage to Ogechi Ezekiel in 2000 lasted for only two years.
- He married again in2007 to Ifeoma Okonkwo.
- His first son was born on May 7th, 2016. He is named Kenechukwu Isaac Chukwuchirimeze Okonkwo.
- Kenneth Okonkwo is estimated to have a net worth of about $5 million.