UN Women was established by the United Nations General Assembly in July 2010 as the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment. UN Women was established as part of the United Nations Reform Program, which aimed to bring together resources and mandates for better effect.
It also brings together and expands the essential work of four previously separate UN agencies (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW, and UNIFEM), all focused solely on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
Job Title: Facilitator for a skills development seminar on improving the marketing skills of female entrepreneurs
- Location: Abuja, Nigeria
- Additional category: Gender equality
- Post Level: National Consultant
- Type of contract: individual contract
- Initial contract duration: 40 working days
Duties and responsibilities
The consultant will perform the tasks listed below to help targeted entrepreneurs improve their marketing skills in terms of product branding, packaging, labeling and distribution, as well as assisting in improving their market access.
The consultant will be expected to
- Develop training materials and conduct on-site training on international good practices in packaging branding and labeling standards.
- Provide advice and assistance in the target women agribusiness associations with information on the acquisition packaging materials.
- Provide support to the targeted women cooperatives / associations to increase their access to local, national, and international supply chains, branding, new business opportunities and partnerships including Fair Trade market opportunities.
- Develop and submit training modules on international good practices that cover the following contents:
- Branding, packaging, and promotion of product / product visibility
- Guidelines for improving sales in a competitive environment
- Develop a training agenda in consultation with UN Women focal person
- Facilitate a three-day training for 63 selected women entrepreneurs.
- Design and share in a flash drive designed template for women’s products (find attached list of products) and suggest better ways to rebrand and repackage products
- Provide support to the targeted women entrepreneurs to increase their access to local, national, and international supply chains, through branding, new business opportunities and partnerships.
- Map and design a mentorship program targeted at providing enhanced use of technology and increased access to markets for 25 Women entrepreneurs in PPE Production, across the six geopolitical zones in Nigeria. The mentorship program will cover the period June to August 2022.
The selected Consultant will be expected to complete the following key-deliverables within the indicative timeframe:
SN, Deliverables, Indicative Timeline
- Submit to UN Women, an Inception Report, proposed training agenda and mentorship programme plan, 4 days
- Training Modules (adapted to the needs of targeted participants) on marketing strategies, including product traceability, branding, and labeling; and access to Fair Trade market opportunities and present sample design for labels and stickers for product rebranding and repackaging, 5 days
- Facilitate a three-day physical training for selected 63 WOBs in Abuja using training modules developed, 5 days
- Submit training report, 2 days
- Mapping of 25 women entrepreneurs across the six geopolitical zones in Nigeria, 12 days
- mentorship of 25 women entrepreneurs across the six geopolitical zones in Nigeria, 10 days
- A final consultancy report on the activities and recommendations generated and submitted to UN Women, 2 days
Total Consultancy period, 40 working days
Under the supervision of the Deputy Country Representative, and in close collaboration with women economic empowerment team, and other relevant UN Women Nigeria CO staff, the selected consultant will also develop and deliver the above listed outputs in accordance with the above outlined timeframes and specifications.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in areas related to Public Relations, Marketing, Entrepreneurship Development, Business Administration, Social Sciences, Economics, or related field.
- A minimum experience of 10 years of relevant professional work experience in areas such as product branding, marketing promotion and public relations.
- Strong knowledge of national and international business environment, product promotion and public relations
- Technical expertise in facilitating capacity development training targeted at WOBs on product branding, packaging and distribution
- Experience in providing mentorship for business entrepreneurs especially WOBs
- Ability to speak and write in a clear and gender-sensitive language.
- Familiarity with the UN system and knowledge of UN Women.
Core Values / Guiding Principles:
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Excellent facilitation skills
- Demonstrates outstanding skilled knowledge of branding and product promotion.
- Knowledge of Nigeria Business environment and marketing concepts
- Excellent knowledge and technical skills on community engagement approaches Excellent written and verbal communication skills, particularly to summarize complex findings and convey complex achievements in clear results language.
- Produces timely, quality outputs.
- Excellent understanding of international development issues and knowledge of the UN system
- Languages Required: English
Application Closing Date
10th June, 2022 (Midnight New York, USA).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online : APPLY
- Applicants are required to submit the following documents in a SINGLE pdf document (The system allows only a single attachment):
- Application letter explaining interest in the consultancy and suitability of the candidate for the consultancy position
- Updated CV
- A short proposal (max 1,500 A4 pages) that explains how the consultant will do the work.
- Personal History Form (P11). The P11 Form can be downloaded from the following website: LINK
- Financial proposal specifying a daily consultancy rate / breakdown per deliverable.
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.